Re: Runnable threads on run queue

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Sun Jul 09 2006 - 12:13:35 EST

Ask List wrote:
Have an issue maybe someone on this list can help with.

At times of very high load the number of processes on the run queue drops to
0 then jumps really high and then drops to 0 and back and forth. It seems to
last 10 seconds or so. If you look at this vmstat you can see an example of what I mean. Now im not a linux kernel expert but i am thinking it has something to do with the scheduling algorithm and locking of the run queue. For this particular application I need all available threads to be processed as
fast as possible. Is there a way for me to elimnate this behavior or at least
minimize the window in which there are no threads on the run queue? Is there a
sysctl parameter I can use?

Please help.

This seems like a userspace issue to me. There is no way the scheduler would let the system sit idle for 10 seconds with runnable processes. I think Rik van Riel's comment about sendmail reacting to increased load average may be related to what's going on here.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from hancockr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx