Re: [patch] do not allow IPW_2100=Y or IPW_2200=Y

From: Daniel Drake
Date: Tue Jul 11 2006 - 07:45:58 EST

Michael Buesch wrote:
Does the ipw driver _really_ need the firmware on insmod time?
bcm43xx, for example, loads the firmware on "ifconfig up" time.
If ipw really needs the firmware on insmod, is it possible to
defer it to later at "ifconfig up" time?

Is bcm43xx able to get the MAC address before the firmware is loaded?
Last time I checked, if the MAC address is only discovered after the interface is created (as would be the case with ipw loading firmware on ifconfig up, I think), interface renaming does not work.

Daniel