Re: [Patch 6/6] per task delay accounting taskstats interface: fixclone skbs for each listener

From: Shailabh Nagar
Date: Tue Jul 11 2006 - 13:42:34 EST

Herbert Xu wrote:
> [...]

Hmm...doesn't look very safe does it.
There's no real need for us to skb_clone within the sem. Keeping a count of
listeners and doing the clone outside should let us avoid this problem.

I was trying to avoid doing the above because of the potential for
listeners getting added continuously to the list
(and having to repeat the allocation loop outside the down_write).

But on second thoughts, we're under no obligation to send the data to all the
listeners who add themselves in the short time between our taking a snapshot
of the listener count and when the send is done (within the down_write). So
it should be ok.

>>>We do GFP_KERNEL inside semaphores/mutexes in lots of places. So if this
>>>can deadlock with the oom-killer we probably should fix that, preferably
>>>by having GFP_KERNEL fail in that case.
>>
>>This lock is special, in that it's taken on the exit() path (I think). So
>>it can block tasks which are trying to exit.
>

> Sorry, missed the context.
>
> If there is a deadlock then it's not just this allocation that you
> need worry about. There is also an allocation within genlmsg_uniast
> that would be GFP_KERNEL.

Thats true. The GFP_KERNEL allocation potentially called in netlink_trim() as part
of the genlmsg/netlink_unicast() is again a problem.

So perhaps we should switch to using RCU for protecting the listener list.

--Shailabh