Re: [klibc] klibc and what's the next step?

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Jul 11 2006 - 15:27:57 EST

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006, Olaf Hering wrote:

> > It's a proposal, and I personally think it makes sense. If done, it is
> > obviously very important that it doesn't change the overall operation of
> > the system.
>
> I think you can have that today, parted uses BLKPG to add and remoe
> things. No idea what the benefit would be, but thats not relavant for
> kinit or no kinit.

The notion that the kernel itself should do no partition parsing at all
was advocated by Andries Brouwer. I violently disagree. Anything that the
lack of which makes a normal system basically unusable should go into the
kernel.

Yes, the kernel rules are heuristics, but so would inevitably any
user-level rules be too, so I don't want to move partition detection to
initrd or similar.

Linus