Re: [klibc] klibc and what's the next step?

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Tue Jul 11 2006 - 16:56:34 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
Does that mean "in kernel space", "in the kernel distribution" or "in memory
completely under the control by the kernel?" That is really what this is
about.

I think it's all about kernel space.

Moving the default parsing to user space would add exactly _zero_ advantage, and would add totally unnecessary complexity (ie now we need to make sure that hotplug does it right - and the hotplug routines suddenly change between the boot phase and the actual install).

There is no reason the hotplug routines should change between the boot phase and actual install. Please note that I didn't say "instead of /sbin/hotplug", I said in rootfs in addition to /sbin/hotplug.

If it adds complexity, it's The Wrong Thing. However, it seems very strange to me to draw the boundary at the kernel-space boundary.

-hpa