Re: RFC: cleaning up the in-kernel headers

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Tue Jul 11 2006 - 18:38:26 EST

On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 11:37:33PM +0200, Jörn Engel wrote:

> > > http://lkml.org/lkml/2003/10/1/74
> >
> > That is version 2 of the script. There are also versions 3 & 4.
> >
> > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&w=2&r=1&s=check+headers+for+complete+includes&q=t
>
> Boy, it took me a while to remember what I did back then. In
> principle, the script just compiles trivial c files with a single
> #include <linux/foo.h>
> inside.

Sure, but it seems quite useful for this task.

> Not too bad in principle, but there were two problems I couldn't
> solve:
> 1. One of the goals should be to make a compile faster, not slower.
> Adding further includes hardly helps.

For me, this is not a goal.

It might perhaps be a side effect, but I care about correctness, not
about compile time.

> 2. It is practically impossible to test every possible combination of
> #ifdefs in the various headers pulled in.

It's not perfect, but it finds a subset of the problems.

There also other possible problems like stuff only used in a #define.

The perfect is the enemy of the good.

> Problem 1 would be fairly simple, as the script could be changed
> slightly to prune single #include lines from headers and see if they
> still compile. But then there is problem 2.
>
> One possibility to tackly problem 2 would be to create a set of config
> files to use for automatic testing. Instead of compiling once, a
> header must get compiled with every config in the set. Hopefully this
> set would not grow too big.
>
> And in the end, there is just so much you can automate. Humans have
> to think about the changes before sending patches.

i don't think the header cleanup could be completely automated.

But if automated tools help that's a good thing.

> Jörn

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.