Re: uswsusp history lesson [was Re: [Suspend2-devel] Re: swsusp / suspend2 reliability]

From: Nigel Cunningham
Date: Tue Jul 11 2006 - 18:59:22 EST

Hi.

On Wednesday 12 July 2006 08:34, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> On Wednesday 12 July 2006 00:01, Nigel Cunningham wrote:
> > >
> > > I was not referring to the speedup of writing and/or reading.
> > >
> > > The exercise was to measure the time needed to suspend the system and
> > > get it back in a responsive state. I measured the time elapsed between
> > > triggering the suspend and the moment at which I could switch between
> > > some applications in X without any noticeable lag due to faulting in
> > > some pages (that is a bit subjective, I must admit, but I was willing
> > > to show that bigger images make substantial difference).
> > >
> > > I tested uswsusp with compression (LZF) and two image sizes: 120 MB and
> > > (IIRC) about 220 MB on a 256 MB box. The result of the measurement for
> > > the 120 MB image has always been greater than for the 220 MB image, but
> > > the difference has never been greater than 10%.
> >
> > Ah ok. Are you sure you're getting that sort of throughput with LZF
> > though - if you're not, you might be underestimating the advantage.
>
> Certainly I don't get that kind of speedup for writing. For reading I do.

Hmm. I would have expected it to be the other way round, since I guess you
need to do the reading synchronously - or do you read the image, then
decompress it? (I'm reading and decompressing at the same time, using
readahead to avoid waiting for pages all the time).

I haven't had the chance to revisit uswsusp yet - I did sysfs support on
Monday (took ages to figure it out!). Ah... so many things to do, and so
little time to do them all!

Regards,

Nigel
--