Re: Will there be Intel Wireless 3945ABG support?

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Tue Jul 11 2006 - 20:56:20 EST

Thomas Tuttle wrote:

Frankly, I think Intel is misinterpreting how strict the FCC is being
(or maybe the FCC is being too strict). I would interpret their
mandates as meaning that, as purchased, equipment can't transmit on
unauthorized frequencies, and that it's not "user-modifiable". User
modification doesn't include things like opening the case of a toy
walkie-talkie up and swapping out a crystal, nor does it include things
like opening up the firmware or driver for something and messing with
it.

Unfortunately you're wrong. Some manufacturers have gotten rapped for marketing equipment that can be modded by stuff like desoldering diodes.

The FCC has some incredibly heavy-weight regulations, like:

- Problem: unlicensed high-power CB operation
- Solution: ban amplifiers that work anywhere near the CB band, including several amateur radio bands (even for sale to users with valid amateur licenses)

- Problem: unencrypted cell phones
- Solutions: ban scanners that work on the cell phone bands

-hpa