Re: [patch] lockdep: more annotations for mm/slab.c

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Thu Jul 13 2006 - 05:21:53 EST

* Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > ---
> > mm/slab.c | 45 +++++++++++++++++++++++++--------------------
>
> geeze, what fuss. Can't we just tell lockdep "the locking here is
> correct, so buzz off"?

well, lockdep already found a locking bug in slab.c, so by telling
lockdep to buzz off we lose the proof of correctness :-)

but i agree that this is getting a bit too intrusive. This patch is
really just another expression of: 'slab locking is too complex', but i
digress. Not all hope is lost though: Arjan thinks he can do a much
simpler annotation.

Ingo