Re: utrace vs. ptrace

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Thu Jul 13 2006 - 09:32:35 EST

On Thursday 13 July 2006 15:28, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

> > That said extended core dumping (e.g. automatic processing of the output)
> > in user space makes sense. I had a prototype for that once that uploaded
> > a simple crash report to a web
>
> the script I use for that is at
> http://www.fenrus.org/bt.sh
>
> it tries to include things like rpm versions of the package it was in
> etc, and suggests/downloads the right debuginfo rpms to improve the
> backtrace. Clearly that's all userspace stuff; but it can run from a
> daemon easily; eg have all core dumps go to a special directory where
> the daemon reaps them and analyzes.

You can't do that right now because core_pattern doesn't support slashes.
The coredumps will be always all over the fs or not be there at all
if the cwd is write protected.

In my patch I allowed pipes and piped the coredump into a user space
processor that generated a simple report using gdb and sent it off.

The web frontend then did some statistics on what crashed most.

-Andi