Re: [patch] lockdep: annotate mm/slab.c

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Jul 13 2006 - 15:19:58 EST

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-07-13 at 11:50 -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> >
> > Why isn't the "on_slab_key" local to just the init_lock_keys()
> > function,
> > and the #ifdef around it all?
>
> it's the same net results; the variable is 0 bytes in size for !LOCKDEP

That's not why I reacted. I reacted because the code is ugly, and would be
much cleaner if it had everything in one place.

Btw, the variable size for !LOCKDEP is totally irrelevant: you need to
have it inside the #ifdef LOCKDEP _anyway_, if only yo shut up gcc about
unused static variables. Which you did do, by duplicating the function
(once empty), and having an #else part to it all.

Linus