Re: [patch] lockdep: annotate mm/slab.c

From: Christoph Lameter
Date: Thu Jul 13 2006 - 22:58:34 EST

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006, Andrew Morton wrote:

> > How would this slab become corrupted if it is no longer on the lists?
>
> It's a bad sign that this question is flowing in the you->me direction ;)

Take it as a rhetorical question reflecting my lack of details about this
issue.

> I don't see anywhere under slab_destroy() where *cachep state gets altered.
>
> The change did cause
> free_block->slab_destroy->__cache_free->cache_free_alien to no longer be
> called under this slab's l3->list_lock. Maybe that locking is
> (accidentally?) protecting something?

Yes this is also protecting the shared array. It is invalid to use
free_block on elements of the shared array. It is valid to use free block
on per cpu arrays since they are protected only by interrupt disable. It
also valid to use free_block on alien caches because they have their own
lock.

Still looking.....