Re: FYI: strange libata EH lines in dmesg once after every bootup

From: Christian Trefzer
Date: Fri Jul 14 2006 - 20:47:02 EST

Thanks, Mark!

On Fri, Jul 14, 2006 at 08:21:34PM -0400, Mark Lord wrote:
> Christian Trefzer wrote:
> >the following happens every time after bootup, tested with freshly built
> >2.6.18-rc1-mm2:
> ..
> >ata1.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x0
> >ata1.00: tag 0 cmd 0xb0 Emask 0x1 stat 0x51 err 0x4 (device error)
> >ata1: EH complete
> ..
>
> Those are S.M.A.R.T. commands.
>
> Either your drive does not support S.M.A.R.T.,
> or you have not enabled it it with smartctl

This drive model surely supports S.M.A.R.T. but maybe support in the
driver is still underway. I just did a

# smartctl --device=ata --smart=on --offlineauto=off --saveauto=on -T permissive /dev/sdb

and this is what I got:

smartctl version 5.36 [i686-pc-linux-gnu] Copyright (C) 2002-6 Bruce Allen
Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

=== START OF ENABLE/DISABLE COMMANDS SECTION ===
SMART Enabled.
Error SMART Enable Auto-save failed: Input/output error
Smartctl: SMART Enable Attribute Autosave Failed.

SMART Automatic Offline Testing Disabled.

The funny thing is that I enabled smart on the drives themselves through
some vendor utility, so IMHO this should not be necessary. I'll try to
add the smartctl calls to init scripts and see what I can find.

Thanks a lot!
Chris