Re: Where is RLIMIT_RT_CPU?

From: Jean-Marc Valin
Date: Sat Jul 15 2006 - 10:47:30 EST

> Non-root RT tasks are not "unprivileged" - they have a level of
> privileges between a normal user and root. Really I think it's OK for
> these tasks to consume 100% CPU, as the admin has explicitly allowed it.

Sure, if the admin has allowed it, but I think it's also OK for desktop
users to have access to rt scheduling by default, as long as their tasks
are "well-behaved" (i.e. only use a few percent CPU).

> The only problem is that Ubuntu shipped with this enabled for everyone.

The problem is not the fact that it's enabled, but the fact that the
amount of CPU allowed isn't restricted.

Jean-Marc