2.6.18-rc1-mm2: process `showconsole' used the removed sysctl systemcall

From: Tilman Schmidt
Date: Sat Jul 15 2006 - 10:47:30 EST

After installing a 2.6.18-rc1-mm2 kernel without sysctl syscall support
on a standard SuSE 10.0 system, I find the following in my dmesg:

> [ 36.955720] warning: process `showconsole' used the removed sysctl system call
> [ 39.656410] warning: process `showconsole' used the removed sysctl system call
> [ 43.304401] warning: process `showconsole' used the removed sysctl system call
> [ 45.717220] warning: process `ls' used the removed sysctl system call
> [ 45.789845] warning: process `touch' used the removed sysctl system call

which at face value seems to contradict the statement in the help text
for the CONFIG_SYSCTL_SYSCALL option that "Nothing has been using the
binary sysctl interface for some time time now". (sic)

Meanwhile, the second part of that sentence that "nothing should break"
by disabling it seems to hold true anyway. The system runs fine, and
activating CONFIG_SYSCTL_SYSCALL in the kernel doesn't seem to have any
effect apart from changing the word "removed" to "obsolete" in the above
messages.

HTH
Tilman

--