Re: raid io requests not parallel?

From: Neil Brown
Date: Sun Jul 16 2006 - 19:58:28 EST

On Saturday July 15, jbaccash@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I'm using kernel linux-2.6.15-gentoo-r1, and I noticed performance of
> the software RAID-1 is not as good as I would have expected on my two
> SATA drives, and I was wondering if anyone has an idea what may be
> happening. The test I run is 1024 16k direct-IO reads/writes from
> random locations within a 1GB file (on a RAID-1 partition), with my
> disk caches set to
> write-through mode. In the MT (multi-threaded) case, I issue them from
> 8 threads (so it's 128 requests per thread):
>
> Random read: 10.295 sec
> Random write: 19.142 sec

Odd. I would expect these two numbers to be a lot closer together.

Try changing the IO scheduler on the drives and see if it makes a
difference.
e.g.
cat /sys/block/XXX/queue/scheduler
echo cfq > /sys/block/XXX/queue/scheduler
echo deadline > /sys/block/XXX/queue/scheduler

See what works best.

NeilBrown