NFS errors

From: Carsten Otto
Date: Mon Jul 24 2006 - 15:14:48 EST

Hello!

My computer uses another server to boot and run with NFS root.
During normal work I notice strange NFS errors.
Please tell me what causes these errors and how I can resolve them.

Example 1:
I executed these commands directly after another.

cotto@carsten-otto:/home/cotto/.mozilla/firefox$ l
ls: .: Permission denied
cotto@carsten-otto:/home/cotto/.mozilla/firefox$ l
total 8.0K
drwx------ 6 cotto users 4.0K Jul 24 21:03 eir51v0r.default
?--------- ? ? ? ? ? la2v5nug.default
?--------- ? ? ? ? ? pluginreg.dat
-rw-r--r-- 1 cotto users 94 Jul 24 21:03 profiles.ini
?--------- ? ? ? ? ? v1q37ws3.default
cotto@carsten-otto:/home/cotto/.mozilla/firefox$ l
total 20K
drwx------ 6 cotto users 4.0K Jul 24 21:03 eir51v0r.default
drwx------ 3 cotto users 4.0K Jul 24 21:03 la2v5nug.default
-rw------- 1 cotto users 286 Jul 24 20:57 pluginreg.dat
-rw-r--r-- 1 cotto users 94 Jul 24 21:03 profiles.ini
drwx------ 6 cotto users 4.0K Jul 24 21:04 v1q37ws3.default

Example 2:
GAIM shows "Could not read file: somewhere.txt" when scrolling through
the list of archived conversations.

Example 3:
Firefox crashes a lot during normal surfing, sometimes even the profile
gets lost.

Example 4:
I get a lot of "do_vfs_lock: VFS is out of sync with lock manager!"
during the day.

Example 5:
Some ./configure && make runs do not complete, because files are
missing. Running the command in a chroot locally on the server (which
has the disk drives) everything works.

The client (without disk drives) uses 2.6.17.6, but I have this problem
with several kernel versions.
The kernel is running 2.6.18-rc1-mm2, but here again the problem occurs
with several versions.
The client runs Debian testing, the server runs Debian stable (Sarge).
The network connection in between is:
(Client) Intel e1000 PCI <-> HP Procurve 2824 (Gigabit) <-> Intel e1000 PCIe (Server)

x:~# rpcinfo -p server
Program Vers Proto Port
100000 2 tcp 111 portmapper
100000 2 udp 111 portmapper
100003 2 udp 2049 nfs
100003 3 udp 2049 nfs
100003 4 udp 2049 nfs
100003 2 tcp 2049 nfs
100003 3 tcp 2049 nfs
100003 4 tcp 2049 nfs
100021 1 udp 32768 nlockmgr
100021 3 udp 32768 nlockmgr
100021 4 udp 32768 nlockmgr
100021 1 tcp 43642 nlockmgr
100021 3 tcp 43642 nlockmgr
100021 4 tcp 43642 nlockmgr
100005 1 udp 779 mountd
100005 1 tcp 782 mountd
100005 2 udp 779 mountd
100005 2 tcp 782 mountd
100005 3 udp 779 mountd
100005 3 tcp 782 mountd
100024 1 udp 877 status
100024 1 tcp 880 status

I enabled nfs4 in the kernels, but do not use it yet
(as a lot of changes are needed in userspace).

mount shows:
server:/export on / type nfs (rw,soft,tcp,intr)

Thanks a lot,
--
Carsten Otto
c-otto@xxxxxx