Re: the " 'official' point of view" expressed bykernelnewbies.org regarding reiser4 inclusion

From: Luuk van der Duim
Date: Wed Jul 26 2006 - 08:42:43 EST

I think the whole thing resembles the ALSA merge case(?)
Also a big blob which was offered at once developped seperately in alsa-devel.

It took Jaroslav and others a few years to convince Linus, him disliking music, he had no appetite for ALSA.
Did Alan end up feeding it to Linus by putting cream on top?
Truth is he was busy being annoyed over scsi layer and other things. He ended up having no trouble at all
with the 79,000 line patch.. It was merged in 2.5.4

I tried reiserV4 in the earlier days of V4 (2000?), I only used it on a non-critical partition but it worked fine for me although tools were still in development then
and _to me_ performance benefits were irreproduceable.

Even rmap had to go out of 2.4.10 because Linus thought the carpet would never fit the floor, no matter how many patches were to come.
I can imagine he's not to keen experimenting on things better than sliced bread (without cream).

Development trees also weren't an option because people kept being annoyed over too many things being broke at the same time.

Luuk

Disclaimer:
By sending an email to ANY of my addresses you are agreeing that:

1. I am by definition, "the intended recipient"
2. All information in the email is mine to do with as I see fit and make such financial profit, political mileage, or good joke as it lends itself to. In particular, I may quote it on usenet.
3. I may take the contents as representing the views of your company.
4. This overrides any disclaimer or statement of confidentiality that may be included on your message.