Re: automated test? (was Re: Linux 2.6.17.7)

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Wed Jul 26 2006 - 10:27:26 EST

On Wed, Jul 26, 2006 at 03:10:02PM +0100, Andrew de Quincey wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 July 2006 14:02, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > What bothers me more is that noone tested this patch against the kernel
> > it was applied against.
> >
> > The submitter didn't test it works (he didn't even test the compilation).
>
> Yes I did - I didn't test the final generated patch unfortunately since I
> assumed it worked. The kernel I _meant_ to diff against worked perfectly :(

Sorry if this was wrong, it wasn't meant against you personally.

Things do go wrong. That's life.
And you aren't the first person who sent a patch that broke the
compilation of the next -stable kernel.

The real problem is:
How do we get some testing coverage of -stable kernels by users to catch
issues?
And compile errors are the least of my worries.

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed