Re: Kubuntu's udev broken with 2.6.18-rc2-mm1

From: Greg KH
Date: Thu Jul 27 2006 - 16:13:12 EST

On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 12:56:55PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 15:46:08 -0400
> Andrew James Wade <andrew.j.wade@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Some change between -rc1-mm2 and -rc2-mm1 broke Kubuntu's udev
> > (079-0ubuntu34). In particular /dev/mem went missing, and /dev/null had
> > bogus permissions (crw-------). I've kludged around the problem by
> > populating /lib/udev/devices from a good /dev, but I'm assuming the
> > breakage was unintentional.
> >

> /dev/null damage is due to a combination of vdso-hash-style-fix.patch and
> doing the kernel build as root (don't do that).
>
> I don't know what happened to /dev/mem.

Me either. Look in /sys/class/mem/ Is it full of symlinks or real
directories?

If symlinks, your version of udev should be able to handle it properly,
but might have a bug somehow.

Try running udevmonitor and echo a "1" to /sys/class/mem/mem/uevent and
see if udev creates the device properly or not.

thanks,

greg k-h