Re: [RFC/RFT] Remove polling timer from i8042

From: Vojtech Pavlik
Date: Thu Jul 27 2006 - 19:42:36 EST

On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 12:29:04AM -0400, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> OK, I had it in works for quite some time and Dave's talk in Ottawa
> made me finish it ;)

Good work.

However I believe you need to test the AUX IRQ in this case before you
use it, otherwise you'll have a lot of people with non-working keyboards
(the input queue is shared), and probably also non-working PCI cards
(BIOSes like to assign IRQ12 to PCI if no mouse is detected by the
BIOS).

You'll see whether this test is necessary if a lot of people report
problems without i8042.noaux.

That can only be seen after extensive testing on a lot of machines,
though. Fortunately 386's and 486's are more or less extinct now, and
with them a lot of the weirder keyboard controllers.

Btw, on standard x86, the AUX and KBD IRQs cannot be shared.

--
Vojtech Pavlik
Director SuSE Labs