kernel hangs when trying to remove a bridge

From: Rodrigo Ventura
Date: Sat Jul 29 2006 - 11:40:39 EST

I'm using kernel 2.6.16 (-gentoo-r13 actually). A bridge iface br0 is setup
using eth1 and eth0.1 (VLAN) as slaves. To bring br0, what I do is to remove
the slaves from the bridge first, "ip link set dev br0 down" next, followed
by the brctl command to remove the bridge. What happens is that it seems it
tryes to destroy the bridge iface, and then hangs, with dmesg complaining,
periodically, about once a second, something like:

unregister_netdevice: waiting for br0 to become free. Usage count = 1
unregister_netdevice: waiting for br0 to become free. Usage count = 1
unregister_netdevice: waiting for br0 to become free. Usage count = 1

I say it partially hangs because commands like ifconfig hang (ps state=Disk
busy)...
To reboot the machine, a HARD reset is required, since, the shutdown process
hangs...

Cheers,

Rodrigo

--