Re: Building the kernel on an SMP box?

From: Handle X
Date: Sat Jul 29 2006 - 14:52:46 EST

On 7/29/06, Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 27/07/06, Brian D. McGrew <brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Good morning all!
> reasonable configuration to get my builds down under five minutes or so?
I got a (moderately old) Sun V20z with 2 Opteron 2.2 GHz with 7G ram.
My numbers are comparable with yours. (I don't know if they are on the
lower side for such a h/w configuration)

My box builds my ordinary .config (attached) in under 5min :

$ time make -j3
real 3m58.047s
user 4m54.574s
sys 1m24.202s
Mine is (with your configuration file, src updated with latest linus' tree,
[om@turyxsrv /home/src/linux-2.6]$ time make -j4
...snipped...
real 4m12.316s
user 5m12.600s
sys 0m37.742s

With stdout redirected, (It helps to save a minute or so )
[om@turyxsrv /home/src/linux-2.6]$ time make -j4 >>time.txt

real 3m23.504s
user 5m14.776s
sys 0m38.138s

Here are some more numbers for you to compare to your box :

allnoconfig :

$ make clean
$ make allnoconfig
$ time make -j3
real 0m54.544s
user 1m2.113s
sys 0m20.781s

[om@turyxsrv /home/src/linux-2.6]$ time make -j4 > allnoconfigtime.txt
real 0m43.399s
user 1m6.256s
sys 0m9.389s

allmodconfig :

$ make clean
$ make allmodconfig
$ time make -j3
real 28m49.748s
user 35m3.212s
sys 10m43.633s

[om@turyxsrv /home/src/linux-2.6]$ time make -j4 > allmodconfigtime.txt
real 39m59.100s
user 34m16.857s
sys 4m36.697s
This box uses a Athlon64 X2 4400+ CPU, has 2GB RAM and a single
Ultra160 SCSI disk.

[root@turyxsrv ~]# hdparm -tT /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
Timing cached reads: 2676 MB in 2.00 seconds = 1338.79 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 184 MB in 3.02 seconds = 61.00 MB/sec