Re: the " 'official' point of view" expressed by kernelnewbies.orgregarding reiser4 inclusion

From: Clay Barnes
Date: Mon Jul 31 2006 - 15:33:10 EST

On 20:42 Mon 31 Jul , Alan Cox wrote:
> Ar Llu, 2006-07-31 am 12:17 -0700, ysgrifennodd Clay Barnes:
> > Of course, if ext3 were proven to be more robust against failures, I bet
> > the reiser team would be very interested in all the forensic data you
> > can offer, since, from what I've seen, they are always trying to make
> > reiser as good as possible---in speed, flexability, *and* robustness.
>
> Its well accepted that reiserfs3 has some robustness problems in the
> face of physical media errors. The structure of the file system and the
> tree basis make it very hard to avoid such problems. XFS appears to have
> managed to achieve both robustness and better data structures.

Yes, that is true, and I think that's a big motivator for the reiser
team to get reiser4 in a place where people can't say that. I suspect
that they know that reiserfs's shortcomings in that respect are probably
the biggest deterrent to using that fs, and they'll do everything they
can to prevent such a problem in reiser4. That's pure conjecture based
on the stuff I see on the list, so if I'm wrong, reiser people, please
correct me.

--Clay