Re: Linux v2.6.18-rc3

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Aug 02 2006 - 17:17:13 EST

On Wed, 2 Aug 2006, Russell King wrote:

> Rafael has reported that it fixes his problem, which is great - and is
> the first bit of feedback I've received on it (thanks Rafael.)
>
> I've no idea why it doesn't work for you though.

Well, more importantly, why would we do something like this in the first
place?

Wouldn't it be a _lot_ better to just use the bog-standard
"suspend/resume" callbacks, and let serial drivers just suspend/resume on
their own, instead of having upper layers generate these fake
"set_termios()" calls?

The serial layer should use set_termios() when users set the termios state
(surprise surprise), not to emulate suspend/restore.

Real hardware tends to want to do a lot more _anyway_ for suspend/restore,
so the argument that "set_termios()" already exists as an interface is
pretty bogus.

Linus