Re: orinoco driver causes *lots* of lockdep spew

From: Jean Tourrilhes
Date: Thu Aug 03 2006 - 15:38:25 EST

On Thu, Aug 03, 2006 at 02:59:58PM -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 03, 2006 at 11:58:00AM -0700, Jean Tourrilhes wrote:

> > > Could we please just get rid of the wireless extensions over netlink code
> > > again? It doesn't help to solve anything and just creates a bigger mess
> > > to untangle when switching to a fully fledged wireless stack.
> >
> > That's not going to happen any time soon, NetworkManager
> > depends on Wireless Events, as well as many other apps. And there is
> > not many mechanisms you can use in the kernel to generate events from
> > driver to userspace.
>
> It seemed to cope pretty well before we had this ?

Wireless Events were introduced in kernel 2.4.20 and 2.5.7,
which means 2002. NetworkManager and WPA Supplicant were based from
the very start on the availability of Wireless Events.
You are confusing different things...

> Dave

Have fun...

Jean

P.S. : By the way, don't ask me why it took four years for this bug to
get discovered...