Re: A proposal - binary

From: Alan Cox
Date: Thu Aug 03 2006 - 19:09:01 EST

Ar Iau, 2006-08-03 am 15:31 -0700, ysgrifennodd Zachary Amsden:
> Alan Cox wrote:
> > Could have fooled me. It seems to work for the IBM Mainframe people
> > really well.
>Yes, but not because of source compatibility. It works because the
> hypervisor layer is actually architected in the hardware.

The hardware has nothing to do with it. It works because the hypervisor
API has a spec and is maintained compatibly. Its not entirely hardware
architected either, it has chunks of interfaces that are not present
hardware level or not meaningful at that level - the paging assists for
example are purely a hypervisor interface as are hipersockets.