Re: A proposal - binary

From: Antonio Vargas
Date: Fri Aug 04 2006 - 03:17:28 EST

On 8/4/06, Chris Wright <chrisw@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
* Antonio Vargas (windenntw@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> One feature I found missing at the paravirt patches is to allow the
> user to forbid the use of paravirtualization of certain features (via
> a bitmask on the kernel commandline for example) so that the execution
> drops into the native hardware virtualization system. Such a feature

There is no native harware virtualization system in this picture. Maybe
I'm just misunderstanding you.

What I was refering with "native hardware virtualization" is just the
VT or Pacitifica -provided trapping into the hypervisor upon executing
"dangerous" instructions such as tlb-flushes, reading/setting the
current ring-level, cli/sti...

> would provide a big upwards compatibility for the kernel<->hypervisor
> system. The case for this would be needing to forcefully upgrade the
> hypervisor due to security issues and finding out that the hypervisor
> is incompatible at the paravirtualizatrion level, then the user would
> be at least capable of continuing to run the old kernel with the new
> hypervisor until the compatibility is reached again.

This seems a bit like a trumped up example, as randomly disabling a part
of the pv interface is likely to cause correctness issues, not just
performance degradation.

Yes, maybe just providing a switch to force paravirtops to use the
native hardware implementation would be enough, or just in case,
making the default the native hardware and allowing the kernel
commandline to select another one (just like on io-schedulers)

Hypervisor compatibility is a slightly separate issue here. There's two
interfaces. The linux paravirt interface is internal to the kernel.
The hypervisor interface is external to the kernel.

kernel <--pv interface--> paravirt glue layer <--hv interface--> hypervisor

So changes to the hypervisor must remain ABI compatible to continue
working with the same kernel. This is the same requirement the kernel
has with the syscall interface it provides to userspace.

Yes. What I propose is allowing the systems to continue running (only
with degraded performance) when the hv-interface between the running
kernel and the running hypervisor doesn't match.

> BTW, what is the recommended distro or kernel setup to help testing
> the latest paravirt patches? I've got a spare machine (with no needed
> data) at hand which could be put to good use.

Distro of choice. Current kernel with the pv patches[1], but be
forewarned, they are very early, and not fully booting.

Thanks, will be setting it up :)

--
Greetz, Antonio Vargas aka winden of network