writing portable code based on BITS_PER_LONG?

From: Om N.
Date: Sun Aug 06 2006 - 02:14:19 EST

Hi,
I am trying to port a driver written for IA32. This is a pci driver
and has a chipset doing PCI <-> local bus data transfer, where local
bus is 16 bit. So a number of values are converted by right/left
shifting by 16 bits.

Now that I am doing porting, I would like to make it fully portable
across AMD64 and IA32. What is the best method for this? Should I do
something like,

#if BITS_PER_LONG = 64
shiftwidth = 48
#else if BITS_PER_LONG = 32
shiftwidth = 16
#endif

I don't like this. I would not do it if there is some elegant way.

Is there any other way?