Re: [ProbableSpam] Re: [RFC, PATCH 0/5] Going forward with ResourceManagement - A cpu controller

From: Kirill Korotaev
Date: Mon Aug 07 2006 - 03:26:21 EST

3. I also don't understand why normal binary interface like system call
is not used.
We have set_uid, sys_setrlimit and it works pretty good, does it?

If there are no hierarchies, a syscall interface is fine since the namespace
for the task-group is flat (so one can export to userspace either a number or a
string as a handle to that task-group for operations like create, delete,
set limit, get usage, etc)
syscalls work fine here as well. you need to specify parent_id and new_id for creation.
that's all. we have such an interfaces for heirarchical CPU scheduler.

A filesystem based interface is useful when you have hierarchies (as resource
groups and cpusets do) since it naturally defines a convenient to use
hierarchical namespace.
but it is not much convinient for applications then.

Thanks,
Kirill