Re: x86_64 command line truncated II

From: Andy Whitcroft
Date: Mon Aug 07 2006 - 11:04:28 EST

Andi Kleen wrote:
On Monday 07 August 2006 16:42, Andy Whitcroft wrote:
Andi Kleen wrote:
Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxxx> writes:

Andy Whitcroft <apw@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

It seems that the command line on x86_64 is being truncated during boot:
in mm right?
Will try and track it down.
Don't bother, it is likely "early-param" (the patch from
hell). I'll investigate.
Following up myself ...

Are you sure it's a regression? 2.6.17 does the same
and we always had that 255 character limit (I tried to increase it once, but it broke some old lilo setups)

i386 should be the same btw.
Its not being truncated at 255 characters, its being truncated at the first space. This is coming out of parse_args, which dumps '\0's into the command_line as it rips it apart. We now only have one copy of the command line (in x86_64) instead of two, so we now expose this trashed copy in /proc/cmdline.

I don't see this in my version; so it's likely fixed already. I did quite
a lot of changes on this patch already.

Please test

ftp://ftp.firstfloor.org/pub/ak/x86_64/quilt/patches/early-param

Easier said than done as the original version is unwilling to revert. Looking at the replacement patch it has the same fix I have been testing to restore the original dual buffer semantic. So I think it would fix the problem we're seeing here. I'll follow up to this email with the incremental patch I tested with 2.6.18-rc2-mm2.

-apw