Re: libata pata_pdc2027x success on sparc64

From: Sergei Shtylyov
Date: Wed Aug 09 2006 - 12:02:25 EST

Hello.

Mikael Pettersson wrote:

> The libata version has three improvements compared to the IDE version.
> > 1. The PLL calibration patches in the above URLs (for IDE)
> still need more improvement as done in the pdc_read_counter()
> of the libata version.
> > 2. The Promise 2027x adapters check the "set features - xfer mode"
> and set the timing register automatically. However, the automatically
> set values are not correct under 133MHz. Libata has a hook
> pdc2027x_post_set_mode() to set the values back by software.
> > 3. ATAPI DMA is supported (please see pdc2027x_check_atapi_dma()).
> Maybe we also need to add this to the IDE version.

Do you know how large the difference is between the 20267 (old driver)
and the 20269 (new driver) in the areas touched by these patches?

Immense. They belong to the different families, register compatibe only in the standard PCI/BM IDE regisrer set -- hence was the driver split.

Long ago I tried a 20267 PCI card in my PowerMac, and it had the same
issues that the 20269 card had. So I'm interested in porting the
calibration/timing fixes to pdc202xx_old.c.

They don't apply to this driver at all. The "older" chip family didn't have the PLL to calibrate. It must be some different issue.

/Mikael

WBR, Sergei