Re: [take6 1/3] kevent: Core files.

From: Evgeniy Polyakov
Date: Fri Aug 11 2006 - 02:13:55 EST

On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 05:56:39PM -0700, Andrew Morton (akpm@xxxxxxxx) wrote:
> > Per kevent fd.
> > I have some ideas about better mmap ring implementation, which would
> > dinamically grow it's buffer when events are added and reuse the same
> > place for next events, but there are some nitpics unresolved yet.
> > Let's not see there in next releases (no merge of course), until better
> > solution is ready. I will change that area when other things are ready.
>
> This is not a problem with the mmap interface per-se. If the proposed
> event code permits each user to pin 160MB of kernel memory then that would
> be a serious problem.

The main disadvantage is that all memory is allocated on the start even
if it will not be used later. I think dynamic grow is appropriate
solution, since user will have that memory used anyway, since kevents
are allocated, just part of them will be allocated from possibly
mmaped memory.

--
Evgeniy Polyakov