Re: kernel panic - not syncing: VFS - unable to mount root fs onunknown-block

From: Hulin Thibaud
Date: Mon Aug 14 2006 - 10:42:02 EST

Sorry, new kernel is 2.6.17. to install suspend2.
I believe using LVM, but I'm not sure.
In effect, initrd is not present ! I rode this lines in my menu.lst :
title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.171915
root (hd1,4)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.171915 root=/dev/hdb5 ro quiet splash
savedefault
boot

So, I suppose that's the center of the problem, but actually, I don't know how to solve it.

Jiri Slaby a écrit :
Hulin Thibaud wrote:
Hello !
I'm trying to compile my own kernel for drivers on two computers, but that fails. A the boot, I have this error :
kernel panic - not syncing: VFS Unable to mount root fs on unknow-block (3.69)

I'm using the kernel 2.6.19 with Ubuntu Dapper. I use the old boot

Wow, 2.6.18 wasn't released yet and you have 2.6.19, cool.

[...]

RAID or LVM? Try initrd.

regards,