Re: Touchpad problems with latest kernels

From: Dmitry Torokhov
Date: Mon Aug 14 2006 - 12:03:52 EST

On 8/14/06, Andreas Mohr <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Aug 14, 2006 at 11:41:29AM -0400, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> On 8/14/06, Andreas Mohr <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >Plus, I'm sometimes having issues with pointer movement (cursor won't
> >advance
> >any more unless I stop touching the touchpad for a few seconds to let it
> >reset somehow - probably a bytestream hickup issue).
> >
> >Any clues?
> >

> Yes, you might want to reseat your touchpad connector and vacuum the
> case a bit. Inspiron 8000 is almost the same as 8100 and I am using it
> constantly ;) Well, I thought my keyboard broke because PgUp stopped
> working but it recovered after I got a hairball from under the key.

Hmm, might need to verify that, but I've been cleaning it from time to time
(Murphy tells me that it was the regular cleaning which broke it ;).

That could be too ;)

> Just make sure you do not pull ACPI battery info to often.

Uh... why!?

On many laptops (including mine) polling battery takes a loooong time
and is done in SMI mode in BIOS causing lost keypresses, jerky mouse
etc. It is pretty common problem. I think I have my ACPI client
refreshing every 3 minutes.

--
Dmitry