Re: What's the NFS OOM problem?

From: Roger Heflin
Date: Tue Aug 15 2006 - 14:23:19 EST

Neil Brown wrote:
On Thursday August 10, w@xxxxxx wrote:
Can someone help me and give me a brief description on OOM issue?
I don't know about any OOM issue related to NFS. At most it might happen
on the client (eg: stating firefox from an NFS root) which might not have
enough memory for new network buffers, but I don't even know if it's
possible at all.

We've had reports of OOM problems with NFS at SuSE.
The common factors seem to be lots of memory (6G+) and very large
files. Tuning down /proc/sys/vm/dirty_*ratio seems to avoid the problem,
but I'm not very close to understanding what the real problem is.

NeilBrown

I have noticed on SLES kernels that when the dirty_*ratios turned down it
still uses alot more memory than it should work writeback buffers, it makes
me think that with the default setting of 40% that it for some reason
may be using all of memory and deadlocking. It does not seem like an
NFS only issue, as I believe I have duplicated it with a fast lock
setup.

Checking writeback in /proc/meminfo does indicate that alot more memory
is being used for write cache that should be.

Roger