Re: [patch 0/5] -fstack-protector feature for the kernel (try 2)

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Fri Aug 18 2006 - 07:27:04 EST

On Fri, 2006-08-18 at 13:15 +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 August 2006 18:48, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> > This patch series adds support for the gcc -fstack-protector feature to
> > the kernel. While gcc 4.1 supports this feature for userspace, the patches
> > to support it for the kernel only got added to the gcc tree on 27/7/2006
> > (eg for 4.2); it is expected that several distributors will backport this
> > patch to their 4.1 gcc versions. (For those who want to know more, see gcc
> > PR 28281)
>
> FWIW -- my queue for 2.6.19 is already quite full and I'm
> in the stabilization phase for the merge.

Andrew, can you please consider sticking these into -mm ?
FC6 already has a gcc capable of using this feature (and I hope/assume
other similar distros as well; for other distros using gcc 4.1, the
respective gcc owner should put in
http://www.fenrus.org/stackprotector/gcc41.patch to fix PR28281) and
since it's a relatively simple feature patch wise (and entirely off if
the config option is off) I sort of feel 2.6.20 is a long way away..