Complaint about return code convention in queue_work() etc.

From: Alan Stern
Date: Fri Aug 18 2006 - 17:36:40 EST

I'd like to lodge a bitter complaint about the return codes used by
queue_work() and related functions:

Why do the damn things return 0 for error and 1 for success???
Why don't they use negative error codes for failure, like
everything else in the kernel?!!

I've tripped over this at least twice, and on each occasion spent a
considerable length of time trying to track down the problem.

If nobody objects, I'll write a patch to change the convention for the
return values. It doesn't matter how many places those routines are
called from; it'll be worth it.

Alan Stern