Re: [take9 1/2] kevent: Core files.

From: Evgeniy Polyakov
Date: Mon Aug 21 2006 - 08:59:33 EST

On Mon, Aug 21, 2006 at 02:53:25PM +0200, Bernd Petrovitsch (bernd@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-08-21 at 15:13 +0400, Evgeniy Polyakov wrote:
> [...]
> > And what is the difference between
>
> As others already pointed out in this thread:
>
> These are not seen by the C compiler.
> > #define A 1
> > #define B 2
> > #define C 4
> > and
>
> These are known by the C compiler and thus usable/viewable in a
> debugger.
> > enum {
> > A = 1,
> > B = 2,
> > C = 4,
> > }
> > ?

:) And I pointed quite a few other issues about enums vs. defines.
According to this one - no one wants to watch enums in debugger.

And, ugh:

(gdb) list
1 enum {
2 A = 1,
3 B = 2,
4 };
5
6 int main()
7 {
8 printf("%x\n", A | B);
9 }
(gdb) bre 8
Breakpoint 1 at 0x4004ac: file ./test.c, line 8.
(gdb) r
Starting program: /tmp/test

Breakpoint 1, main () at ./test.c:8
8 printf("%x\n", A | B);
(gdb) p A
No symbol "A" in current context.

Actually I completely do not care about define or enums, it is really
silly dispute, I just do not want to rewrite bunch of code _again_ and
then _again_ when someone decide that defines are better.

--
Evgeniy Polyakov