Re: [2.6 patch] re-add -ffreestanding

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Mon Aug 21 2006 - 18:55:56 EST

On Tue, Aug 22, 2006 at 12:27:28AM +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:

> > It disables the automatic usage of builtins which is OK.
>
> No, it's not ok -- it is the problem. We want to use the builtins.

Without -ffreestanding, the compiler is completely free to decide
whether to use a builtin or whether to not use it - and which other C
library functions to use.

Your commit 6edfba1b33c701108717f4e036320fc39abe1912 that claimed
"it was only added for x86-64, so dropping it should be safe" was not
safe, it had broken at least mips and m68k. This wrong justification
alone should warrant a revert of this commit.

What's the problem with adding -ffreestanding and stating explicitely
which functions we want to be handled be builtins, and which functions
we don't want to be handled by builtins?

This looks like the right way to go instead of breaking other
architectures here and there.

> -Andi

cu
Adrian

--

Gentoo kernels are 42 times more popular than SUSE kernels among
KLive users (a service by SUSE contractor Andrea Arcangeli that

There are three kinds of lies: Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics.
Benjamin Disraeli