sym53c8xx PCI card broken in 2.6.18

From: David Johnson
Date: Tue Aug 22 2006 - 10:44:05 EST

Hi all,

I'm running a Sun Ultra Enterprise 450 (SPARC64) machine which has an on-board
SCSI controller and a PCI SCSI controller, both supported by the sym53c8xx
driver.

With 2.6.17.9 (and earlier) SCSI works perfectly, but with 2.6.18-rc4 and
2.6.18-rc4-git1 I'm getting errors on boot for all devices attached to the
PCI card, but all the devices attached to the on-board controller are
detected and configured OK.

lspci identifies the on-board controller as:
SCSI storage controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic 53c875 (rev 03)
and the PCI controller as:
SCSI storage controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic 53c875 (rev 14)

Here's the output from initialisation of the devices on the PCI card (repeated
for every device):
scsi2: sym-2.2.3
scsi 2:0:0:0 ABORT operation started
scsi 2:0:0:0 ABORT operation timed out
scsi 2:0:0:0 DEVICE RESET operation started
scsi 2:0:0:0 DEVICE RESET operation timed out
scsi 2:0:0:0 BUS RESET operation started
scsi 2:0:0:0 BUS RESET operation timed out
scsi 2:0:0:0 HOST RESET operation started
sym2: SCSI bus has been reset
scsi 2:0:0:0 HOST RESET operation timed out
scsi: device offlined - not ready after error recovery

The devices on the PCI controller are a mixture of 'Fujitsu MAG3182L SUN18G'
and 'Seagate ST318203LSUN18G' drives.

Looking through the changelogs between 2.6.17.9 and 2.6.18-rc4-git1, I can't
see any changes to sym53c8xx, so I'm guessing this has been caused by some
generic SCSI subsystem change. Let me know if I can do any more to debug.

Regards,
David.

--
David Johnson