Re: A nice CPU resource controller

From: Martin Ohlin
Date: Wed Aug 30 2006 - 12:11:53 EST

Balbir Singh wrote:

The CKRM e-series is a PID based CPU Controller. It did a good job of
controlling and smoothing out the load (and variations) and even
worked with groups. But it achieved all this through some amount of
complexity. How do you plan to extend the idea to groups? Do you have
any code that we can look at?

I would say that my controller so far is very simple, probably too simple. I have no detailed plan yet about how to incorporate groups of tasks, only small ideas that I would like to think a little more on before I say something embarrasing. The important code-parts are in the thesis, and I must say that the code is in no way finished, but most of it can be found at:
http://www.control.lth.se/user/martin.ohlin/linux/sampler.c

I do not understand controlling the nice value? Most cpu control the
bandwidth/time - are there any advantages to controlling the nice
value? How does this interplay with dynamic priorities that the
scheduler currently maintains?

There is a relationship between the nice value and the achieved bandwidth/time. Therefore it was possible that the nice value could be used to control the bandwidth/time. I wanted to know if it was possible to use it, and it was. As to the dynamic priorities, I do not change them, but as I do change the nice value and the dynamic priorities are relative to that, then you may say that I do change them... Anyway, it seems to work.

/Martin