Re: RFC - sysctl or module parameters.

From: Dmitry Torokhov
Date: Fri Sep 01 2006 - 08:20:54 EST

On 9/1/06, Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, Sep 01, 2006 at 12:02:52PM +1000, Neil Brown wrote:

> Thus we could just have a module option, just add module config
> information to /etc/modprobe.d and run
> modprobe --apply-option-to-active-modules
> at the same time as "sysctl -p" and it would all 'just work'
> whether the module were compiled in to not.

Ah, you want it after the code is loaded. That's different.

Would probably work just fine, no objection from me. Except you would
have to hack up the module-init-tools package :)

This will be pretty hard to implement in general as quite a few module
parameters do not allow changing once set and so you will have to
virtually reload modules while doing your "modprobe --apply.." trick.

--
Dmitry