Re: [patch 3/9] Guest page hinting: volatile page cache.

From: Dave Hansen
Date: Fri Sep 01 2006 - 14:21:19 EST

On Fri, 2006-09-01 at 20:04 +0200, Martin Schwidefsky wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-09-01 at 11:03 -0700, Dave Hansen wrote:
> > OK. It comes down to a race between
> >
> > __remove_from_page_cache()/__delete_from_swap_cache()
> >
> > and
> >
> > __page_discard()
> >
> > running on the same page at the same time. Right?
>
> Yes.

OK, and there's no other workable solution to exclude each other from
running at the same time than a bit in page->flags?

It seems like that hashed lock (or lock in mem_map[]) we were talking
about earlier might be applicable here, too.

Do we ever discard pages other than ones that have just recently failed
to be made stable? There seems to be a lot of

if (!page_make_stable(page) {
page_discard(page);
}

Some of these call sites even have mapping->page_lock held when the
page_make_stable() occurs, so they would have _already_ excluded
__remove_from_page_cache(). At which call sites is it not feasible to
acquire mapping->page_lock?

-- Dave