PROBLEM: HP dv6000z Laptop ACPI/nVidia/bcm43xx issues

From: M W
Date: Sat Sep 02 2006 - 14:02:18 EST

Upon boot-up, I am seeing the following error message on both 2.16 and 2.17
kernels (32 or 64 bit):

PCI: Failed to allocate mem resource #6:20000@e0000000 for 0000:05:00.0

I am also unable to boot the system properly unless I boot with "acpi=off"
This may be related to my bcm43xx wireless card that I have been unable to
get working properly both with the native driver or ndiswrapper.

Here is the information on my system:
HP dv6000z Laptop (just released in the past month)
AMD Turion x64 ML-52
nVidia nForce chipset (410/430?)
nVidia GeForce Go 7200 Video Chipset (256 "TurboCache)
Broadcom a/b/g wireless w/Bluetooth (bcm4306)
nVidia onboard NIC
Conexant HD audio? (works sometimes with generic nVidia driver in ubuntu)

I believe the mem resource issue may have something to do with the
"TurboCache" feature of the chipset, which I believe borrows some of the
system RAM. I can verify that the 000:05:00 address refers to the graphics
card. Also, there is a LED for the wireless functions, which stays blue
during boot-up with ACPI turned-on. When turned-off, the light stays red and
audio functions do not work.

I have tried several distributions (ubuntu, gentoo, suse) and have witnessed
this issue on all distributions (both the system lock-ups and the mem
resource message). Recompiling the kernel with the latest test build
resulted in the same issue, as well. At this point, I assume since this
hardware is so new that this is just a configuration that hasn't been
considered yet.

--
VGER BF report: U 0.500599