Re: Support for TI FlashMedia (pci id 104c:8033, 104c:803b) flash card readers

From: Greg KH
Date: Sat Sep 02 2006 - 23:45:42 EST

On Sat, Sep 02, 2006 at 10:50:14PM +0200, Pierre Ossman wrote:
> Andrew Morton wrote:
> > On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 13:15:52 +0200
> > Pierre Ossman <drzeus-list@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >> Andrew, we could use some help with how this driver should fit into the
> >> kernel tree. The hardware is multi-function, so there will be a couple
> >> of drivers, one for every function, and a common part. How has this been
> >> organised in the past?
> >>

> > Greg would be a far better person that I for this. Is it a PCI device?
> >

> It's always difficult to know who to contact when there's an issue that
> isn't specific to one single area. And since you are the 2.6 maintainer
> I figured it wouldn't be too off base to throw this in your lap. ;)
>
> This is a PCI device yes. Which has a number of card readers as
> separate, hot-pluggable functions. Currently this means it interacts
> with the block device and MMC subsystems of the kernel. As more drivers
> pop up, the other card formats will probably get their own subsystems
> the way MMC has. So there are three issues here:
>
> * Where to put the central module that handles the generic parts of the
> chip and pulls in the other modules as needed.

Right now, the drivers/mmc directory has such a driver, the sdhci.c
file, right?

> * If the subfunction modules should be put with the subsystems they
> connect to or with the main, generic module.

It all depends on how bit it grows over time. It is always easy to move
files around at a later time if you so wish.

For now, is the drivers/mmc/ directory acceptable? If other card
formats show up, we can reconsider it at that time. Is that ok?

thanks,

greg k-h

--
VGER BF report: U 0.476704