Re: [] slabinfo.buffer_head increases

From: Guennadi Liakhovetski
Date: Wed Sep 06 2006 - 07:45:14 EST

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006, Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:

I am obsering a steadily increasing buffer_head value in slabinfo under I searched the net / archives and didn't find anything
directly relevant. Does anyone have an idea or how shall we debug it?

The problem is still there under 2.6.18-rc2. I narrowed it down to ext3 journal. To reproduce one just has to mount an ext3 partition and perform (write) accesses to it. A loop { touch /mnt/foo; sleep 1; } suffices - just let it run for a couple of minutes and monitor buffer_head in /proc/slabinfo. If you mount it as ext2 the problem is gone.

Guennadi Liakhovetski, Ph.D.
DSA Daten- und Systemtechnik GmbH
Pascalstr. 28
D-52076 Aachen