Re: patch to make Linux capabilities into something useful (v 0.3.1)

From: Bernd Eckenfels
Date: Thu Sep 07 2006 - 21:19:30 EST

On Fri, Sep 08, 2006 at 01:00:28AM +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
> If attacker already has priviledge foo, he can just go use it. He does
> not have to exec() poor program not expecting to get priviledge foo,
> then abusing it.

It is not about attackers. It is about normal usage. If you spawn a program,
it might behave wrong since it does not know that it is priveledged. For
example a network daemon might start a child process which interacts with
the user, and forgets to drop priveldges for it.

> Sanitized here means "all regular capabilities set, all others
> cleared".

Yes, however I thought this was exactly what the patch is not doing?

Gruss
Bernd
--
(OO) -- Bernd_Eckenfels@Mörscher_Strasse_8.76185Karlsruhe.de --