Re: patch to make Linux capabilities into something useful (v 0.3.1)

From: David Madore
Date: Fri Sep 08 2006 - 00:13:36 EST

On Thu, Sep 07, 2006 at 06:06:30PM -0500, Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
> I'm not sure reserving all 32 for 'regular' caps is the way
> to go, since we're about to overflow the 32 bits of sysadm caps
> already. What about maybe 20 regular caps?

Yes, that could easily be arranged. I've tried to be careful and
nowhere asssume that the regular caps were precisely numbers 32
through 63.

> No need to do this now for my sake, but if you repost these, doing so
> in 3 separate emails with the patches inline will make it more likely
> that people read them.

I'll do this now for version 0.4.2, which merges with your own
filesystem support. I made one noteworthy change to your code, by the
way, which is to disable the "permitted" (=forced) set of capabilities
on executables whose filesystem is mounted nosuid: I think this is a
reasonable constraint, to avoid the attack where a luser mounts a usb
key with xattrs in the filesystem or something like that.

--
David A. Madore
(david.madore@xxxxxx,