Re: 2.6.18-rc6-mm1: GPF loop on early boot

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Sun Sep 10 2006 - 09:40:52 EST

On Sunday 10 September 2006 15:26, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> * Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Basically, non-atomic setup of basic architecture state _is_ going to
> > > be a nightmare, lockdep or not, especially if it uses common
> > > infrastructure like 'current', spin_lock() or even something as simple
> > > as C functions. (for example the stack-footprint tracer was once hit by
> > > this weakness of the x86_64 code)
> >
> > I disagree with that. The nightmare is putting stuff that needs so
> > much infrastructure into the most basic operations.
>
> ugh, "having a working current" is "so much infrastructure" ??

Together with stacktrace the infrastructure needed is quite
considerable.

> the i686 PDA patches introduce tons of early_current() uses. While i
> like the new PDA code, its bootstrap (like x86_64's PDA bootstrap) is
> too fragile in my opinion, and it will regularly hit instrumenting
> patches.

Or the instrumentation patches just always need to check
some global variable. Maybe system_state could be extended or something.

> Perhaps the early setup code (if we really want to do it all in C)

Sorry but moving it into assembler would be just crazy.

> should be moved into 32-bit early boot userspace code (like
> compressed/misc.c) and it will thus not depend on any kernel
> infrastructure.

Ok I guess it would make sense to add a i386_start_kernel to i386 and
initialize the boot PDA there. I would also move early_cpu_init
into there because that also avoids quite some mess later.

-Andi